The four Maywood firemen/EMT who delivered a baby in Maywood last month in front of a Maywood fire station, 1220 S. 17th Ave. Left to right: Ronald Edwards, Phillip Brooks, Kevin Kehoe and Emanuel Coker. | Courtesy Maywood Fire Department
Last month, Maywood firemen and paramedics responded to a call on the 1900 block of S. 13th Ave. When they arrived, they encountered a woman giving birth.
The four firemen/EMT, Ronald Edwards, Phillip Brooks, Kevin Kehoe and Emanuel Coker, successfully delivered the baby on the spot during the July 10 occurrence.
Maywood Fire Chief Craig Bronaugh, who congratulated the four firefighters and lauded their quick thinking, said the mom and newborn are doing just fine.
The mother, however, declined to comment and has remained anonymous since the birth.
Referencing a prior incident involving a July 3 fire on the 1500 block of S. 5th Ave., Bronaugh said he urges residents to take precaution when using appliances. The fire was contained near the home’s washer and dryer area.
“A common thing we run into is that lent screens don’t always get cleaned and they can sometimes attribute to fires,” the chief said, before noting that there hasn’t been a definite link between the fire and the dryer.
“We’re not exactly sure if the fire can be attributed to the appliance, but it just alerted us to some of the hidden dangers with appliances that residents should keep an eye on.” VFP