Friday, December 29, 2017 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
Operation Uplift, Inc., the Maywood-based social service nonprofit, turns 50 in 2018 and the venerable organization plans to celebrate the milestone with a bash.
The organization will host a 50th Anniversary Celebration and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Awards Black Tie Gala, called “Manifesting the Dream in the Millennial Generation,” on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018, 7 p.m., at the Diplomat West Banquet Hall, 681 W. North Avenue, in Elmhurst.
“This major fundraiser will pay homage to our organization’s legacy, as well as garner financial support for the 50 years of service that UpLift has provided for low to medium income, unemployed and untrained youth & adults of the Proviso Township villages,” according to a statement the organization released in November.
“You will join in and remember the great passion of Dr. King’s life. This year’s keynote speaker will be Pastor Otis Moss III, Senior Pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.”
The evening’s honorees include:
- Pastor Ronald Beauchamp, Pastor/Educator
- Tempia Courts, Attorney
- Salandra Crockett-Woods, Dean of Students, Proviso East High School
- Todd Dulaney – Gospel Recording Artist
- Tamara Gardner, Educator, Oak-Park High School
- David Grace, Grace Boyz Productions, Documentary Filmmaker
- Derek Grace, Grace Media Group, Video Production Company
- Gina Harris, Maywood Youth Mentoring, Inc.
- Mayor Andrey F. Harvey, Village of Bellwood
- Valarie Humphrey, Founder/CEO, True Eagle Beauty Foundation Inc.
- Mother Emily Foster, 100 Year-old Maywood Resident
- James Mitchell, Vice- Chairman Operation Uplift Inc., All-State Insurance (Retired)
- Erskine Reeves, Founder, Erskine Reeves Barber Academy
- Pastor Clarence Stowers, Senior Pastor, Mars Hill Missionary Baptist Church
- Lyneir Richardson, Executive Director, (CUEED) Rutgers University
- Larry Shapiro, Maywood Senior’s Club
- Isaiah Sharkey, Grammy Award Winning Guitarist
- Anahi Soto, Outstanding Youth, District 209
- Laurietta “Jeri” Stenson, Curator, West Town Museum of Cultural History
- Valarie Watkins, Director of Assessments and Grants District 89
- Darnell Williams, Founder, Elijah Running Club
- Rev. Marvin Wiley, Senior Pastor, Rock of Ages Missionary Baptist Church
Musical entertainment will include Kym Franklin, the Audley Reid Band, Audrie Hicks, Candace Davis and Clarence Williams Jr. of ConQuest: The Band, vocalist Greg Parker and more.
Tickets are $80 and tax-deductible. For ticket information, contact Mrs. Davis at (708) 557-0503 or Mrs. Denton-Jones at (708) 860-0264. You can also purchase tickets online by clicking here. VFP
For more local news, ‘Like’ Our Facebook page