LETTERS: Thank You, Trustee Yarbrough | What To Know Now That It’s Tax Time

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 || LETTERS || @maywoodnews 

Thank you, Trustee Yarbrough

I would like to give a special thanks to Trustee Henderson Yarbrough, Sr., for assisting me in moving some very large rocks from my parkway. I spoke to Trustee Yarbrough last Wednesday night after a town hall meeting held at Council Chambers, 125 S. 5th Ave., in Maywood.

I put these large rocks on my parkway to save my grass. Last Friday, a notice was taped on my door informing me to remove the rocks or get a citation.

On Monday, I went to the village and asked for two weeks, but was told they should have been moved within 24 hours. I was given one week to remove the rocks. I called around trying to find someone to remove them, but was not having any success, particularly with it being cold weather and the ground being frozen.

Wednesday night, I spoke to Trustee Yarbrough and two days later he came to my rescue. The rocks are gone …

Thank you, Trustee Yarbrough.

— Barbara Eaves, Maywood 

— —

It’s tax time!

Now is the time to file your federal and state income tax returns. Tax returns are normally due to the IRS by Aril 15. This year, tax returns are due to the IRS by April 17, because April 15 falls on a Sunday.

If you are an employee, you should have received a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement for wages you earned as an employee in 2017. On the other hand, if you are a business owner, you should have received Form 1099 Miscellaneous Income for money you received for providing goods or services to other businesses.

If you are a business owner, don’t forget to include on your tax return the deductions for the expenses you incurred to run your business. Expenses include advertising, bank charges, insurance, education & training, group memberships, office supplies, and telephone.

Don’t forget to include wages paid to your employees or hired workers and money paid to other businesses for goods or services. This is only a partial list of deductible items. Your business may have spent money on other goods or services.

The best way to keep track of the amounts you spent is to keep written documentation, such as receipts, credit card statements, canceled checks, and bank statements.

I always recommend that a good way to keep track of money spent is to pay by check, debit card or credit card, rather than cash, if possible, so you will have a good record of what you spent.

Once you have all your amounts added, it’s time to call a good tax professional who can file your taxes for you. Good luck!

— Sandra Gibson is a local certified public accountant (CPA) and owner of Gibson Accounting & Consulting, LLC. Her website is gibsonacc.com. She can be reached at (708) 298-0145 or sgibson@gibsonacc.com.

For more village perspectives, ‘Like’ our Facebook page 

2 thoughts on “LETTERS: Thank You, Trustee Yarbrough | What To Know Now That It’s Tax Time”

  1. I can just see Yarbrough out in the middle of the night in his jammies moving those rocks! hahahahahaha

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.