Wednesday, February 7, 2018 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
Featured image: Phyllis Duncan during a 2016 peace march in Maywood. | Courtesy Rep. Emanuel “Chris” Welch
Phyllis Duncan, the founder of Mothers of Murdered Sons and the Women’s Community Leadership Council, was recently among 10 people selected to be inducted into Triton College’s Distinguished Alumni Wall of Fame for 2018.
For years, Duncan has been a ubiquitous presence in the Proviso Township community, and on Chicago’s West Side, for her vocal activism against violence and in support of victims.
Whether organizing a ‘Drive By for Peace,’ as she did in August 2016, or planting a memorial garden along the Prairie Path in Bellwood or canvassing a neighborhood in order to get information on a teenager’s murderer or honoring local women who are making their marks in Proviso communities — Duncan’s message is consistent.
“We want to just celebrate and let people know we are not just victims but victors,” she said during the 2013 planting of her MOMS garden in Bellwood. “[We’re focused on] keeping our sons’ and daughters’ names strong […] Nobody can put a label on the loss of a child.”
“These inductees exemplify the success of our Triton College alumni and will be prominently added to our memorial wall on the first floor of the Triton College Student Center located in Building,” college officials noted in a statement.
Other Wall of Fame honorees include:
- Mr. Kevin Bor, Chicago, IL – Detective, City of Chicago Police Department
- Mr. John Carpino, Willow Springs, IL – Village President, Village of Willow Springs
- Mr. Miguel Curl, Chicago, IL – Coordinator of School Age Program, YMCA Chicago
- Mr. Frank Fagiano, Elmwood Park, IL – Chief of Police, Elmwood Park Police Department
- Ms. Brenda Farlow, Northlake, IL – Lieutenant, Northlake Fire Protection District
- Mr. Barrett Pedersen, Franklin Park, IL – Mayor, Village of Franklin Park
- Mr. Donovan Pepper, Oak Park, IL – National Director of Local Government Relations, Walgreens Co.
- Ms. Shavon Wesley, Forest Park, IL – Site Acquisition Specialist, Velocitel
- Ms. Deborah Winkleblack, Hoffman Estates, IL – Vice President, Global Supply Chain, Claire’s Stores
The induction ceremony will be held on Thursday, March 1, 6 p.m., in Room B-204/210 of the Student Center (B Building), with a reception to follow.
RSVP your event attendance to Jenelle Madrigal at 708-456-0300, ext. 3205 or at email@example.com by Feb. 15. VFP
For more local news, ‘Like’ our Facebook page