Thursday, February 8, 2018 || By Michael Romain || @maywoodnews
Featured image: Winter Storm Warning is in effect for this evening through Friday. | National Weather Service
The National Weather Service forecasts that a winter storm is headed to Chicago and the suburbs that could bring up to 12 inches of snow in some areas by Friday night.
“Travel will be very difficult to impossible at times, including during the morning commute on Friday,” according to a statement the weather service released on Thursday.
“If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency,” the statement reads.
A total of 7 to 12 inches is expected, with some areas due to get even more snow than others.
Ahead of the snowfall, event cancellations and school closings have been accumulating across Proviso Township.
The Proviso Township Ministerial Alliance Network (PTMAN) announced today that the organization had cancelled its monthly breakfast meeting, which was scheduled for Feb. 10.
And the Emergency Closing Center, which “provides the status of Chicagoland area schools, businesses, daycare centers and organizations” ahead of serious storms, has already listed the following closing notices in Proviso Township (with more likely to be announced in the hours to come — click here to get updates throughout the day):
- Melrose Park Public Library | Closed tomorrow
- Walther Christian Academy | Closed tomorrow
- Sacred Heart School | Closed tomorrow
- P.A.E.C. Education Center Elementary and High School | Closed tomorrow
- St. Joseph High School | Closed tomorrow
- Proviso East | Closed tomorrow
- Proviso West | Closed tomorrow
- PMSA | Closed tomorrow
- Jefferson School in Bellwood | Closed tomorrow
- District 89 | Closed tomorrow
- District 92 | Closed tomorrow
School District 209 released the following weather-related statement in December: