Monday, September 17, 2018 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
There’s a lot happening in Proviso Township this week. Below is just a sampling of the week in big events.
Attend a parent power workshop at East and West
On Wednesday, Sept. 19, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at Proviso West High School, 4701 Harrison St. in Hillside, and Thursday, Sept. 20, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at Proviso East High School, 807 S. 1st Ave. in Maywood, the school’s Community Schools Program will host a Parent Power Workshop on why attendance matters.
For more info, contact Community Schools Coordinator Noemi Mendieta at (312) 404-3261 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefit from a free business resource fair
On Thursday, Sept. 20, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Stevenson Park, 3105 Washington Blvd., the Bellwood Chamber of Commerce will host a free small business and health fair featuring free health screenings, food and resources in areas such as finance, marketing and legal assistance. There will also be a special seminar at 10 a.m. on building business credit by Anterio Jackson, CEO of Credit Honor LLC.
Get a Free hearing check
On Thursday, Sept. 20, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Bellwood Village Hall, 3200 Washington Blvd. in Bellwood, the Bellwood Lions Club, in conjunction with the Lions of Illinois Foundation, will host a free hearing check. A mobile hearing unit will be on site.
Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month with Zumba lesson
On Saturday, Sept. 22, 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., at the Maywood Public Library, 121 S. 5th Ave. in Maywood, celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month with Latino music and dance. Fitness specialist and exercise physiologist Rhonda Fentry, owner of Rhythms Dance and Yoga, will be instruction a class on Zumba.
Enjoy the Proviso East homecoming parade
On Saturday, Sept. 22, 9 a.m., Proviso East High School will host its annual homecoming parade. The parade will assemble at 8 a.m. in Forest Park on Circle Avenue, proceed westbound on Madison Street through Maywood to 9th Avenue, turn right onto 9th Avenue and proceed to Washington Boulevard, turn right (eastbound) back to 1st Avenue, turn right and proceed to the school.
Take in a garage sale before season’s over
The last days for Melrose Park garage sales will take place Sept. 20 through Sept. 22. No permit is needed for garage sales – however the following rules must be followed:
- Garage sales shall be conducted only during the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM
- No garage sales may be conducted in apartment buildings.
- No garage sales in the front yard, i.e. on the grass.
- All garage sales to be conducted in back yard, garage, or on driveway.
- All sale items to be displayed on tables, not on ground.
- No sale items shall be located and no sale activities shall be conducted in the front yard area, on the premises of any public sidewalk, parkway area, or other public property.
- No sales signs, handbills, or other advertising material shall be located or posted upon public parkway or on public property, signs, poles, or light poles within the Village of Melrose Park.
- Signs advertising the sales shall not exceed three feet (3) by five feet (5) and may be located only in the front yard (private property) of the address having the garage sale and must be removed immediately after the sale.
- The sale will be conducted without the use of outdoor loud speakers, amplification equipment or illuminated advertising devices.
Learn about naturalization
On Monday, Sept. 24, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., at the Maywood Public Library, 121 S. 5th Ave. in Maywood, the library and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Chicago District Office will host a Naturalization 101 Informational Session.
A USCIS representative will conduct a presentation on the naturalization process, a mock interview and a Q&A session. Free study materials available. For more info, Maria del Carmen Rodriguez at Chicago.CommunityRelations@uscis.dhs.gov. VFP
For more local news, ‘Like’ our Facebook page