Monday, February 4, 2019 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
Featured image: Taiyana Shurn participates in the 1st Annual District 89 African American Read-In last year. | File
Last year dozens of volunteers brought positive, exciting, imaginative, and vibrant children’s stories with African American main characters to 1,061 students. We hope you’ll participate in this year’s event to keep the success of the District 89 African American Read-In going.
To recap, this reading event occurs during Black History month, and designed to promote:
- Professional African American authors
- Children’s stories with African American main characters, where students see themselves represented
This year’s Read-In is for 2nd and 3rd grade students, and scheduled for:
- Monday, Feb. 25
- Wednesday, Feb. 27 through Friday, March 1
If you’re interested in participating this year:
Click this link to schedule your reading day and time
- Reading times are in 30-minute increments. Schedule your reading time ASAP (no later than Wednesday, Feb. 20).
- If you prefer being assigned to a specific elementary school, indicate your preference when scheduling your reading day and time.
- Being assigned to a preferred school is based on availability and does not guarantee you’ll be assigned to that school.
Once your reading day and time have been scheduled, you’ll receive the District 89 Book List, and then you’ll submit the book you’ll to read to the students. Please note: Books from this list will be available at each elementary school.
Finally, the Friday before the Read-In, you’ll receive a reminder email that will contain all the information you’ll need for your scheduled Read-In day.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Kamil Brady at email@example.com, or by phone at 708-406-2494.
Also, if you know someone who’s interested in participating in the 2nd Annual District 89 African American Read-in, click to download the flyer, and share it with them. VFP
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org | Facebook: @maywoodnews