Sunday, November 20, 2016 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
Funeral arrangements have been made for Joseph W. Freelon, Maywood’s first African American mayor, who died Nov. 18 from natural causes.
A public viewing will take place on Friday, Nov. 25, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., at Second Baptist Church in Maywood, 436 S. 13th Ave.
The funeral will take place at Second Baptist on Saturday, Nov. 26, with the viewing occurring from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m The service will start at 10:30 a.m. VFP
For more local news, ‘Like’ VFP on Facebook
Tuesday, November 1, 2016 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
A regular meeting of the Maywood Board of Trustees is scheduled for tonight, Wednesday, Nov. 1, 7 p.m., at 125 S. 5th Ave. Among items up for discussion and/or approval (to see the full agenda packet, click here):
- Approval to pay off loan from Seaway Bank for the Maywood Market. Payment is to come from Madison Street/Fifth Avenue TIF.
- Approval of an Ordinance amending Title XI (Business Regulations), Chapter 117 (Alcoholic Beverages), Section 117.41 (Hours of Operation) of the Liquor Control Ordinance of the Maywood Village Code regarding Retail Package Sale of Alcoholic Liquor on Sundays.
- A Resolution approving the expenditure of Maywood Emergency Telephone System Board (ETSB) Funds to provide matching funds to accept the Award of a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Grant for the purchase of Certain Emergency Radio Communications Equipment for the Maywood Fire Department in the amount of $56,120.00.
- Recommendation regarding Tobacco and/or Business License Suspension/Revocation Action against Falcon Fuel. VFP
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016 || By Community Editor || @maywoodnews
A Legal, License and Ordinance Committee (LLOC) meeting is scheduled to take place tonight, Wednesday, Oct. 26, 7 p.m., at 125 S. 5th Ave. Among topics up for discussion (for the full agenda packet, click here):
- Discussion and consideration for selection of streets and alleys for repair in the Madison/5th Avenue TIF.
- Consideration and discussion for purchasing Solar Stop Signs.
- Discussion and consideration for hiring a Grant Writer.
- Discussion and consideration regarding the Maywood Fire Department invoice received from Alpha Prime Communications in the amount of $56,120.00 for Emergency Communications Equipment/FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant Fund.
- Cosideration for Tom Kus, Chairman of the Maywood Historic Preservation Commission to make presentation and give an update regarding activities from previous year and goals for 2017 followed by questions and answers.
- 2016 Real Estate Tax Levy Approval Process and Adoption Schedule for 2016 Tax Levy and 2017/2018 Annual Budget process.
- An Ordinance Amending Title XI (Business Regulations), Chapter 117 (Alcoholic Beverages), Section 117.41 (Hours of Operation) of the Liquor Control Ordinance of the Maywood Village Code regarding Retail Package Sale of Alcoholic Liquor on Sundays, with a cover memorandum dated October 12, 2016 from Klein, Thorpe and Jenkins, Ltd.
- Consideration to discuss Memo and Ordinance previously sent to the Village for the October 12, 2016 LLOC Meeting. Board of Trustees granted Local Landmark Status to the Maywood Soldiers Widows Home located on the Village-owned property at 224 North 1st Avenue. VFP
Thursday, September 22, 2016 || By COMMUNITY EDITOR || @maywoodnews
[By PROVISO TOWNSHIP DISTRICT 209] The Proviso Township High Schools District 209 Board of Education and Dr. Jesse J. Rodríguez, superintendent for District 209, will host a series of town hall meetings in each of the 10 villages that are within the district, beginning with Maywood on Thursday, September 22.
The town hall meetings, which will each take place between 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., are an opportunity for parents and community members in each village to meet with Board members and Dr. Rodríguez, ask questions, and learn more about the direction of District 209.
“Our schools are your schools, and we value all input from members of the community,” Dr. Rodríguez said. “We welcome parents and other residents of our villages to dialogue with us on the direction our schools should go.”
One or more members of the Board of Education also will be in attendance. Mrs. Teresa D. McKelvy, president of the Board of Education, said that this is “a wonderful opportunity for our parents and community members to meet our new Superintendent and collaborate with the Board of Education.”
“We value your ideas, so come out and lend your voice to assist us in our efforts of being more inclusive,” she said.
Town hall meetings during the first semester of the 2016-2017 school year will take place on the following dates:
- Thursday, September 22 – Maywood Village Council Chambers (125 South Fifth Avenue in Maywood)
- Monday, October 3 – Stone Park Village Hall (1825 North 32nd Avenue in Stone Park)
- Thursday, October 27 – Melrose Park Civic Center (1000 North 25th Avenue in Melrose Park)
- Monday, November 14 – Hillside Elementary School (4804 Harrison Street in Hillside)
- Monday, December 5 – Westchester Public Library (10700 Canterbury Street in Westchester)
For more local news ‘Like’ VFP on Facebook
Tuesday, September 20, 2016 || By COMMUNITY EDITOR
A regular meeting of the Maywood Board of Trustees is scheduled to take place tonight, Tuesday, Sept. 20, 7 p.m., at 125 S. 5th Ave., Maywood.
The board is expected to approve an omnibus agenda that includes payments for various services, including garbage pick-up, construction and legal.
The board will also discuss, and possibly approve, a $35,000 settlement agreement.
For the full agenda packet, click here. VFP
Tuesday, July 26, 2016 || By COMMUNITY EDITOR || || @maywoodnews || @village_free
A rescheduled regular meeting of the Maywood Board of Trustees is set to take place tonight, Tuesday, July 26, 7 p.m., at village chambers, 125 S. 5th Ave. Among items to be discussed include:
- The approval of $2,334,914 in warrant expenditures through July 21.
- The approval of a 38-item omnibus agenda, which includes more than two dozen payments ranging from $6,043 to Utility Service Company for quarterly water tank maintenance to the City of Chicago for water services from April 15 through June 16.
- The omnibus agenda also includes a motion to appoint seven members to the Maywood Special Events Commission, which is planning an upcoming Maywood Fest;
- A resolution approving and authorizing the execution of a cost-sharing intergovernmental agreement between Broadview and Maywood for 13th Avenue resurfacing;
- Two ordinances approving local landmark designation for 704 N. 4th Ave. and 224 N. 1st Ave.
- A resolution consenting to a Cook County Class 6(B) property tax rate designation for 1900 S. Maywood Dr.
- The approval of two settlement agreements worth a combined total of roughly $20,000.
- In new business, the village board will also discuss the approval of an $803,000 contract to Trine Construction Corporation, the lowest bidder for water main and roadway improvements on Railroad Avenue;
- And a resolution that would allow the question of whether or not the village should adopt an ordinance prohibiting the issuance of any new Class M (video gaming cafe/bistro) liquor licenses in Maywood to appear on the Nov. 8 ballot.
For a complete list of agenda items, click here. VFP
Wednesday, July 20, 2016 || COMMUNITY EDITOR || @maywoodnews || @village_free
A rescheduled Legal, License and Ordinance Committee (LLOC) meeting will take place tonight, Wednesday, July 20, 7 p.m., inside council chambers, 125 S. 5th Ave., Maywood. Among items to be discussed include:
- The discussion and consideration regarding an application (Exhibit 1) for Class 6B Sustainable Emergency Relief (SER) Tax Incentive Program submitted to the Cook County Assessor’s office, Cook County Department of Economic Development and the Village of Maywood by property owner James Leon Olde. The recommendation from Angela Smith, Coordinator of Business Development is to move 6B SER Resolution for approval on (Exhibit 2) to the July 26, 2016 Board of Trustees meeting.
- Discussion and consideration regarding a Resolution authorizing intervention in all 2014 through 2016 Tax Year Appeals before the Cook County Board of Review and the State of Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board.
- Discussion and consideration to address a recommendation for assets and a reduction of fees for active red-light cameras under contract with American Traffic Solutions (ATS).
- Discussion and consideration concerning entering into an Interlocal Agreement with the Village of Broadview for Repairing 13th Avenue
For the full agenda packet, click here. VFP
For more local news, ‘Like’ VFP on Facebook